Last time I talked about our fire story and the kitchen remodel. If you missed it, you can see it here. This post is about the master suite remodel.
We didn’t change a whole lot in the actual bedroom part of the master suite, other than the paint color, and (as with the rest of the main level) no more popcorn ceilings. Yippee! We did change the layout of the his/hers closets a little, but that was it.
The color I chose for the walls was Oyster Bay.
The furniture we had in the bedroom was all salvageable, which was nice because some of it had a little sentimental value. My dad is a pretty talented (hobby) carpenter, and he built us a sleigh bed and a large heavy-duty easel (Restoration Hardware-inspired). I decided to arrange the bed at an angle for a dramatic flare, and put a decorative metallic-champagne framed mirror on the easel.
Now we just needed new linens for the bed. It just so happened that my mother-in-law had offered to make us a quilt and asked what we would like (colors, design). I did some looking around for ideas and fell in love with a bedspread I found at Anthropologie. Then I found a blog about how to make one yourself. My mother-in-law found some light ivory jersey fabric to use and got to work on it. This is how it turned out. Isn’t it gorgeous?
As opposed to the minor updates in the bedroom, we made a lot of changes to master bath. It looks COMPLETELY different. I wish I had some “before” photos of it, but unfortunately I don’t. So I’ll just have to be descriptive. Our bathroom is laid out in the shape of an upside-down “L”. Originally, it had a linen closet, one sink, a small corner shower, and a Jacuzzi style tub.
The floors were white linoleum and the vanity was the same oak as the former kitchen cabinets, with brass hardware.
One of the first decisions we settled on for the new bathroom was to have a double vanity instead of just a single. I looked through catalogs for ideas and showed the carpenter one I liked from Pottery Barn. He pretty much replicated it for us, except customized it to fit our bathroom dimensions.
For continuity, we chose the same paint color, cabinet door style, and hardware as we had in the kitchen.
For the bathroom walls, I chose a color in the same family as we used in the master bedroom, but a lighter shade. Sea Salt.
For mirrors, we went with two simple dark brown framed mirrors we found at Home Depot. I also hung a large metal / glass sconce between the two mirrors.
The bottom shelf of the vanity is great for storing bulky items, like towels and toilet paper, which leaves the linen closet open for storing medicine, band-aids, and other toiletries. To keep things looking neat, and because I love industrial decor, I put a couple of large heavy vintage metal bins on the vanity shelf to hold the towels and toilet paper.
The next decision we made was to lose the separate shower/tub set-up (in order to create more space for a double vanity) and instead, put in a large, walk-in, tiled shower. We chose porcelain tiles that have a stone look (easier to maintain) and had them laid out in a staggered brick pattern. For the shower floor, we went with the same tile, but in a two-inch mosaic cut. The shower has a tiled bench on one wall, and two inset cubbies for shampoo, soap, etc.
The toilet was moved to the opposite wall and we had a half-wall built to separate it from the vanity area.
By far, one of the hardest decisions for us to make was what tile to use for the bathroom floor. It took us forever to settle on something. We looked everywhere and nothing really jumped out at us. We wanted a natural look, but no maintenance, so we were mainly looking at porcelain. We had a hard time finding anything we really loved. Eventually we returned to one of the first tile shops we had visited and wandered around looking at more samples. They had some of their tiles laid out in little sections on the floor of the store, and the husband and I were discussing a couple of samples we had picked out. We looked down at the tiles we were standing on and remarked, “I wish they had something like this in porcelain.” One of the store reps happened to hear us and said, actually that IS porcelain. I had assumed it was stone, it looked so natural. And we both loved it. So it was settled. We finally found a floor tile. Drumroll, please… This is it.
The light grays, taupes, and browns actually pick up the Sea Salt color from the walls quite well. We picked out two different tile sizes, both square, and decided on a pinwheel pattern (the tile guy loved me for this – apparently this pattern is a bit of a pain to do, as EVERY tile has to be cut differently). Oh well. I don’t feel too bad. That’s what he was paid for. And it really creates an entirely different look than tiles laid out in a regular grid.
With the bathroom tile decision finally out of the way, we could focus on what we wanted to do in the living room, which will be my next and final post on the remodel and restoration. Stay tuned for part III.